Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
First United Methodist Church is NOT...
A whites only, country club. We are also NOT a classist or elitist group of people. RATHER we are a group of people who believe that ALL – and we mean ALL, people matter to God. We are an imperfect people who are constantly inviting imperfect people to join us as we worship a PERFECT GOD!
We are more than an amazing collection of individuals who gather on Sunday morning, we are a growing family. We are not a perfect family, but we are a family that strives to love, forgive, and serve. We are a family who is always creating space for another person around God’s table. We are bounded together by God’s love for us and by God’s commandment for us to love others.
Our Core Values
- That the fullness of God’s love and power for God’s creation was revealed through Jesus Christ. If you want to know who God is, what God thinks and feels, how God acts, we believe that is revealed in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.
- That we are expected to live a life in the world that reflects a higher standard of living. We are to be a people who express more hope, love, forgiveness, self-sacrifice, acceptance of those who are often ostracized or ignored, and mercy than is often displayed in today’s society. We appreciate that we cannot do this by our own willpower or other limited resources, but we are capable of doing this through the Holy Spirit.
- That we are called to create an environment here on earth that helps people get a glimpse of the greatness of heaven that awaits us.
- That before we became Christians we were a people who stood in the need of continual forgiveness and mercy, after we have become Christians we recognize we are still a people who stand in the need of continual forgiveness and mercy only now we realize what it is like to live as forgiven people.
- That the best evidence that you are walking closely with God is not revealed in how often you attend church, how long you read the Bible, how deep your prayers might be, or even how generous your offering is (these are important and they enhance your spiritual walk) but we real evidence is revealed in the ways that you demonstrate love to the neighbor and the stranger. As our Book of Discipline states, “Scriptural holiness entails more than personal piety; love of God is always linked with love of neighbor, a passion for justice and renewal in the life of the world.”
We take seriously our privilege of serving as salt and light in the world. We embrace with open hearts, open minds, and open hands our responsibility to serve others the way Jesus served.
We believe that God intends to use First United Methodist Church of Fort Pierce to demonstrate that love really does conquer every evil that has manifested itself in today’s society. We intend to do this by diligently and strategically emphasizing the message that ALL people matter to God. We intend to be a church where people from all walks of life immediately have a sense of welcome and belonging when they join us for worship. For many people attending First United Methodist Church of Fort Pierce this will be their first experience of being in a place where they are truly seen, heard, and understood. We stand boldly by our charge to lead people to live in the world not as broken, hurting, discouraged people, but to live as beloved sons and daughters of God. We intend to help people see themselves not as they currently are, but to see themselves the way God intends for them to be seen – AS MASTERPIECES.